Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Garden News


I had to get out of the house this morning after my disastrous and traumatic first bout on Foodie Fights.  Although the Garden is not big and is not located in one specific spot, it felt good to feed the plants and see what new and exciting food is growing in our back yard.  So far it's been going well and for next year we plan on removing those large decorative rocks and making some raised beds.  Some of the lovely things that I saw and that made me feel better are:


Our first broccoli is coming out.  Now, I went into this without actually knowing if broccoli is a good summer crop.  If you have any input please share.  I  am sure that I'll have to keep an eye on it to ensure that it doesn't bolt.


The Black Russian Heirlooms are flowering.  I never actually buy the seeds for these guys, just buy the tomatoes at the Farmer's Market, cut it in half, squeeze out the pulp onto a sieve, clean everything out except the seeds, dry them in the sun, and plant.  It's awesome.  I hope that I am able to do that from my own crop.

This year we have 15 different Heirloom tomatoes, squash, peas, broccoli, cantaloupe, peppers, sun flowers,  radishes, chard, kale, and carrots.  Although it sounds like a lot, it's in such small quantities that I doubt it'll make a dent on our KMK budget.   Regardless, it's been a fun experience for the family and I; especially today, also a nice escape from my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Garden looks beautiful. Congrats on the baby broccoli and heirloom tomato flowers. I'm glad it's a happy distraction. XOXO!

    ReplyDelete