Wednesday, September 24, 2014


Thai Iced Tea

Lately we've been obsessed with having iced tea ready to go and this sweet treat is going to be an occasional go to for us; it has tons of sugar in it and we don't like having too much of that around here.  I adapted a recipe that I found on this blog, White on Rice.  I knew I would NEVER buy the pre-made stuff with those additives and yellow dye but appreciated their attempt at mimicking a Thai restaurant splurge.  Here it goes.....

Thai Tea Mix
2 tsp loose black tea (I use Davidson's Ceylon OP loose black tea that I got from Amazon) or 2 black tea bags
2 tsp loose rooibos tea (I use Davidson's loose rooibos tea that I got from Amazon) or 2 rooibos tea bags
2 disposable paper filter tea bags (I just put the bags filled with the tea into the composter when I'm done)
4 c water
1/2 c sugar
1/2 Tbsp (1 1/2 tsp) of vanilla bean paste (I use Nielsen Massey that I got from Amazon)

Bring the water to a boil and add the teas, sugar, and vanilla bean paste.  Lower the heat and simmer for about 3 min; remove from heat and steep for at least 30 min (I steeped for 1 hour but only because I was busy making dinner and kind of forgot about it).

Thai Tea Assembly
Pre-made tea mix
Half and half (I use organic)
Glasses filled with ice

Pour the tea mix into the glasses and fill almost to the top.  Splash some half and half into it, stir it around, and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment