Saturday, July 3, 2010

What to do with your CSA part 1

Yellow Gazpacho with Fresh Relish


I get asked what do I do with my CSA, so in an effort to answer that I've decided to blog for a week with the meals that we make from our box.  I really enjoy being part of  The Farmer's Daughter CSA because I know my farmers, the food that I get is top notch and organic, and it allows me to be really creative in the kitchen.  All of the ingredients are organic unless otherwise noted.  This lovely soup was both our lunch and dinner which I served with sour dough havarti cheese toast.



 

Fresh Relish (Casa Clark original recipe)
2 early girl tomatoes, diced
2 carrots finely chopped
purple basil leaves, cut into ribbons
mint leaves, cut into ribbons
Kingsburg gold tomatoes, halved
diced red onion (this onion also goes into the gazpacho so don't use too much)
extra virgin olive oil
salt

I placed all of the ingredients into a bowl, swirled with some extra virgin olive oil, and seasoned with salt to taste.  I didn't give you exact amounts because I didn't measure and just threw it all in.  You'll figure it out.


Yellow Gazpacho (Casa Clark original recipe)

 


I used what I had in the box and left overs from last week's box to make this.  I weighed the ingredients and am providing you with exact measurements of what went into the soup.  The pic is of the vege landscape before they were blended into creamy and refreshing goodness.

2 lb 3.5 oz of Carolina gold heirloom tomatoes, quartered
1 lb 3.5 oz purple bells, sliced
1 lb cucumbers (these were store bought)
1 red onion diced (the onion used in the relish; I hadn't used too much of it so threw it in)
2 cloves of garlic quartered
8 oz baby carrots
1 lb tomatillos husked, washed, and halved or quartered
9.2 oz apricots (weight with pits inside) pitted and halved
1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil
water

I used my blender for this because I have one that is awesome, but feel free to use a food processor.
I blended in batches and once I placed some of the veges into the blender I added a bit of olive oil and a splash of water to make the veges easier to blend.  Once they're blended pour them into a sieve over a bowl.  Fold the vege pulp until no more juice is extracted, repeat with the rest of the veges.  On your last batch be sure to blend for a full minute and just incorporate into the soup without straining.  Mix to combine.  Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and season to taste.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.  Place into bowls and top with the relish.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment