Sunday, July 25, 2010

What to do with your CSA part 6

Grilled Vege Sandwich

I love the summer veges.  They are so good and quite satisfying.  I have yet to grow tired of zucchini, summer squash, or eggplant; maybe I'm a weirdo.  I thought these sandwiches would make a hearty summer dinner which they did.  I've remade these with the same delicious results.  Feel free to substitute with any seasonal veges.  The pic is a bit yellow because the fluorescent lighting in the kitchen at night is dreadful, sorry.

Grilled Vege Sandwich
1 large eggplant, cut into thin slices
2 large zucchinis cut into medium thick slices
1 large patty pan sliced
baby carrots slice in half
bell peppers, seeded and sliced
onion, sliced
cooked bacon slices (optional)
2 small peaches pitted and sliced
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 small package of blue cheese at room temperature
havarti cheese slices (Costco)
bread ( I prefer sour dough)


I grilled the veges on my electric grill, but feel free to grill outside.  Before being placed onto the grill the veges were placed in a large bowl and covered with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  I tossed them in the oil and seasonings with my hands until they were well coated.  I grilled until the veges were tender but not overly done.  Once they are cooked place them in another bowl or platter.  Grill the peach slices.  I didn't coat the peach slices because I wanted their natural sugars to do the caramelizing and I didn't want them to taste like oil.  Once the peaches are done remove from heat and set aside.


Crumble the blue cheese into your stand mixer, and using the paddle mix the cheese until smooth and spreadable.  I decided to dice a peach and mix it into the smooth cheese.  I had it so I did it but this is not necessary.


Brush olive oil on your bread and place onto grill.  Cook for 2 min and flip over.  Add the havarti slices and grill until the havarti begins to melt.  Place onto a plate.  Add the blue cheese onto the non-havarti slice and spread using a spreader.  Now you're ready to top.


On the blue cheese side place your grilled peaches.  On the havarti side place your grilled veges how you'd like them.  Place the peach half onto the havarti half and slice in half.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment