Sunday, July 25, 2010

What to do with your CSA part 7

Greek style Quinoa

Although date night was extraordinarily fun last night the food was heavy and I woke up feeling blah.  I wanted to make us a healthy and delicious lunch.  As I was flipping through my latest Saveur issue (Aug/ Sept 2010; the Greek issue) I came across Ladolemono, which is the Greek version of a lemon sauce.  With this sauce as inspiration I created a delicious meal packed with protein and delicious Greek flavor.

Greek Style Quinoa
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 eggplant ( from my garden) diced
8 baby carrots, diced
1 cucumber (from my garden) peeled, seeded, and diced
kalamata olives, handful which were quartered
8 oz feta cheese, divided
mint leaves cut into ribbons
2 c of quinoa, rinsed under water
4 c of homemade vege broth
 Ladolemono sauce ( recipe follows)

After rinsing the quinoa under water for about 1 min I placed into a saucepan with the broth.  I covered and brought to a boil on med-high heat.  Once it came to a boil, I lowered the heat to low and allowed it cook.

While the quinoa is cooking place your butternut squash, eggplant, and carrots into a pan with warm oil over med- high heat until the veges are browned and cooked through.  Remove from heat.

Once the quinoa is done cooking place it into a bowl.  Add the cooked veges, cucumber, olives, and 4 oz of the feta, crumbled.  Add 1/2 of the ladolemono sauce and toss to coat.  Place the quinoa on a plate and garnish with some crumbled feta and the mint leaves.  Delicious!

Ladolemono sauce
Again, this recipe is from the Saveur Aug/ Sept 2010 issue.  Super tart and good.

1/4 c fresh lemon juice ( thanks again Prietos for the lemons although this is the last of them)
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

Place all of the ingredients into a jar and shake until combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment